Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cultural Achievements

The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem
The Ottoman Empire entered its golden age of cultural development during my reign and patronage. There were hundreds of grand artistic societies, called the Ehl-I Hiref, who were administered at the Imperial seat, which was the Topkapı Palace. Artists and craftsmen could advance in ranks after an apprenticeship. They were also paid proportionate wages four times a year. The Ehl-I Hiref attracted the most talented artisans to my court. These artisans included painters, book binders, jewelers and goldsmiths. What made the culture extraordinary was that my patronage of the arts was not influenced by other cultures, but was its own artistic legacy.  Pottery, weaving, and calligraphy were developed greatly during my reign.  Calligraphy especially reached its acme as it was a highly decorative writing with complex strokes. I was also a good poet, and I wrote in both Persian and Turkish. I wrote many poems for important events, such as the commemoration of my son Mehmed. Other people, like Fuzuli and Baki, were also great writers of the time. Lastly, I sponsored many architectural developments in the Ottoman Empire. I wanted to turn Constantinople into the center of Islamic civilization. To do this, I planned a series of projects, including mosques, palaces, and bridges. My chief architect, Mimar Sinan, helped the Ottoman architecture reach its pinnacle. He created over three hundred monuments throughout the empire. Some of his great accomplishments were the Sületmaniye and Selimiye mosques, the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, and the Kaaba in Mecca. These amazing architectural feats display the magnificence of the Ottoman Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment